Friday, July 24, 2009




I didn't write much about Gene's scout camp before. But, I need to say this. He was working on organizing this thing for a good 6 months....well, longer than that. The past couple of months he had teleconferences at 7:30 am on Saturday mornings to coordinate all that would happen. Our stake hosted this 10 (ten) stake lds encampment. Gene was in charge of organizing the schedules of classes and parking and placement of all the people in camp. There ended up being about 600 boys and 150 leaders in a 300 person size camp at Camp Buck Toms. He also taught an aviation class and took them to an airfield. He did a fantastic job and I've only heard good things. He packed his own tent but ended up sleeping under a pavillion on just his air mattress. He got all these "thank you" awards from other stakes. He got to travel around the camps escorting the YM first presidency members around and met every boy. They awarded him a hand carved bolo tie that aren't sold...just given away. I can't find where he put it...but, I'll try to get a photo. It is an aviator....they didn't know he used to be in the Air Force, but thought rather he had an aerial view of the whole project and had the "big picture" in mind. I thought the t-shirt and theme was a very good idea. These "head" t-shirts were bright and practically glow in the sunlight so anyone who has a question could find them. Gene said it worked like a charm....he couldn't stand next to someone else in the same shirt...the glare was too bright.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I've only heard good things too. Way to go Gene, what a huge job!! I (sort of) wish I could have gone for some of it just to see!