Sunday, January 11, 2009

Shoe shopping with Tara

I am very sad I did not take my camera with me to record this event...shopping for black knee-high boots with Tara. We went to three different stores. We started at payless....thinking surely they would have something. They only had rainboots....the guy said "in fact, boots are so out of season, we are already getting sandals in." Really? I thought winter just started. I'm pretty sure it's only 35 degrees out there today. Why are you selling sandals? So, we decide to move on to K-mart...because it's going out of business across from the mall. All they have are shoes no one would be caught dead in....big clomping snow 'moon boots' like I had in elementary school....this is Knoxville, it rains, sometimes is chilly but we never have snow we have to shovel or plow.
So,we head on to Target. We find alot of boots there. We realize she is a size 4, which is really the last of the "kid" sizes....a 5 is a woman's shoe. Which, to get her foot into the boot, she needs at least a 5, a 5 1/2 is better. Which means the style is far more fancy than a 8, almost 9 year old needs to be wearing. This was a sample of our conversation. "Ok, Tara, here is a black knee-high boot, try it on",I say.....she replies"Ok, but it's too heely"...meaning the heel is too high (I agree it's 3 inches, she puts it on and falls over forward). "Ok, here's a brown boot, try it on"...she replies "ok, but it's too pointy" meaning the toe is pointed...it's a small heel, it's knee-high and it fits her foot but, then she tries to walk in it and I realize her excuse of "too pointy" is good enough to get it off her. I don't want her walking that way down the halls of church tomorrow. We try on suede with 3 inches of indian fringe. There is nothing in her closet that she could wear with those. We try on flat boots that are "too buckley" they had about 3 large buckles up the side, we tried on short ankle boots, and just for fun the rainboots but, walked out of the store with nothing. I think for now I'll just stick to my beloved way of shopping. Which entails me going to the store while the kids are at school. Picking out something I think fits or they will like and keep the receipt for a definite return.

No comments: