Saturday, June 06, 2009

summer favorite recommendations

We have been able to rent and borrow a few fun movies so far during our break.
The kids are so excited about some of the old classics....well, what I consider classics.

Emily loves "Heidi" with Shirley Temple. She's been walking around trying to yodel like Heidi did. She makes the same little pouty face and I wouldn't be surprised if she soon asked if her hair could curl like that too.

Tara's new discovery is Pippi Longstocking. Now that is a fabulous movie! Tara can't believe there is really a girl who can lift a horse. We really want to try that hair! I'm sure there is wire involved there somehow. Harry Potter movies are her favorite though. She wears her hair in braids and puts on glasses and talks like Moaning Myrtle from Harry Potter. She does the voice exactly like her.

My book club is reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. I started the book on Thursday. I can't put it down. Of course, this is a recommendation for all of you who have in past years watched all 6 hours of Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibilty with me. I watched the first half of the movie and have to wait until my Netflix movie time turns over on the 9th. I'm speeding through reading to try to get done so I can see the second half of the movie version.

The other discovery is cold chocolate milk. I've only bought the packets for hot chocolate in the past. I broke down and bought the hershey's syrup on my second trip to the store with all three in tow. Now, chocolate milk and popsicles are the staples of my kids' diets.

Tara started the Italian class. She loves it. She keeps saying Ciao Madre. Buongiorno! She walks around with her vocabulary paper and says "Do you like gatto?"
We guess yes or no..."ah! gatto is cat." then "Do you like birra?" Then we guess. "ah! birra is beer". I asked her why is she learning the Italian word for beer? "I don't know why....I just have to know it" she says. Next time you go to Rome Jonathan, let us know and you can take her along.

All three kids are going to "summer camp" at a friend's house. The girls who sometimes babysit for us are making up their own camp. The kids have come home so excited about it. Other kids from the ward are there. The first day they learned about other countries. They made origami cups and had fortune cookies. On Friday they had "wild west day" and lassoed a candy bottle and made little ponies from tp rolls and popsicle sticks. Tara named hers "Fabio", Emily named hers "Cheeto", Jordan (a friend) named hers "Burrito" and Jacob named his "Palm Tree." Hmmmm....

2 comments:

Lori said...

I need to look into some of those old movies, I always forget about the oldies that are still new to our kids. They sound great.

P.S. Where did you get a copy of North and South, they didn't have it at the library. And can I borrow it when you're done?? :)

The Borden Family said...

I bought it....and yes, you may!